Thursday, September 18, 2014

YAR! TAlk like a Pirate

Ahoy, mateys! 'Tis time to flap yer jaws like a buccaneer. September 19th is Talk Like a Pirate day.

Wondering what it's all about, go here:

Show me your pirate face.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Still creative...sorta

I have to admit, I am having some trouble settling in. Two major moves in one year seem to have upset my Libran scales. I may not be painting paintings but I am working on things like my sideboard top/Tchotchke holder thingy.

I bought this top a couple of years ago at a yard sale and have been lugging it around. It's quite heavy and was missing the centre mirror and the second side panel. The wood was in pretty rough shape.

Now it adorns my dining room wall. The panels were replaced with masonite board covered in textured wallpaper until such time as I can afford to replace one/all of them with mirror. Thanks to HGTV for the inspiration. I really like accents of brightly painted furniture. I can hardly wait to decorate this for Day of the Dead.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

asymmetrical tunic

I found the big scary dress at the thrift shop. I thought I would just play with it and see if I could turn it into a lagenlook piece. Of course the socks just make that outfit.

I rather like it taken in, with shortened sleeves and an asymmetrical hem.

It's loose and cool and I think I will wear it to a lecture tonight. Now if I could just get my dang feet in the picture...

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Let's hear it for New Denver

Smoky Sunset

I am trying to raise the profile of my "Notes from New Denver" blog. If you could do me a favor and take a quick look at:
I would really appreciate it. A comment would be terrific!

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Crazy Grandma times

On July 28th, my older daughter was hard at labor to produce her daughter. We were separated by many miles but as I stood with my feet in the water of Slocan Lake trying to send her strength and love, I felt the presence of her grand and great grand parents.

great grandmother "Mom Cox"

great grandmother Laura

grandparents Paul and Doris
 who would have been thrilled with this first and only (so far) great grand child...

 Welcome L.J.

I looked at the water moving away in ripples from my feet and felt connected. Ripples moving out. Bless all the parents and the children and the children to come.

Sunday, July 27, 2014


When people think about Canada, they generally don't think about how hot it can be in summer. I ordered this dress on the internet for those hot, sunny days. While it is lovely, colorful and cool, it really was quite "muu-muu-ish".

So I took in and shortened the sleeves, shortened the hem, added a belt and a hat and I am ready for the Farmer's Market. 

You can check out my town's farmer's market here:

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Summer Days

Nymph     20x16 acrylic

I painted this image several years ago. It was inspired by a vintage photo. It reminds me of my Mother (I don't know why, but I gave her the red hair anyway). It has become one of my keepers and is going to be hung in the bath.