Saturday, December 28, 2013

Indian Detour Couriers


I have started a painting based on this old photo.

The Indian Detour Couriers were accomplished young women that were hired to guide tours through New Mexico, I am quite fascinated by their stories. Check out their history here:  http://books.google.ca/books?id=jzR_PtaFNFoC&pg=PA111&lpg=PA111&dq=indian+detour+courier&source=bl&ots=m3OI3nUps6&sig=zHrTE8tgk4JhcW0QgBm2nvIznvc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jhS_UpaLE9PdoAThjoHwAQ&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=indian%20detour%20courier&f=false
I think I would really have wanted to be a courier!

The first thing I did was drop one figure. I don't like their faces. I may knock back the santa fe logo and Indian detour images although I would like to keep them for the historic reference. I am, as usual, letting the source photo influence me rather too much but I hope to move beyond that. We will see. Could end up being a big old paint-over.

No comments: