Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Another reason to like Leonard Nimoy

I just learned that Leonard Nimoy is a photographer and has produced a book, "The Full body Project".

An excerpt:

“The average American woman, according to articles I’ve read, weighs 25 percent more than the models who are showing the clothes they are being sold,” Mr. Nimoy said, ... “So, most women will not be able to look like those models. But they’re being presented with clothes, cosmetics, surgery, diet pills, diet programs, therapy, with the idea that they can aspire to look like those people. It’s a big, big industry. Billions of dollars. And the cruelest part of it is that these women are being told, ‘You don’t look right.’ ”


I personally think that all younger students should be exposed to Life Drawing. Studying and drawing the human figure in all its varieties can teach you the power and beauty of the human form and how all the advertising for otherwise is so much CRAP! Several years ago, I saw a show by grade school students (in Quebec...their attitude toward nudity is so much more natural and mature than some other cultures). The student drew a nude figure as a child, a teen, an adult and a mature person. They were some of the most powerful drawings I have ever viewed, simultaneously desensitizing the artist to the concept of nudity and teaching about the variations in the body.

1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

Admittedly, I am a prude, though I don't think it is my culture as much as it is me. Nice studies of the human form, Paula!