Sunday, June 3, 2012

They're Back! --Cowichan Sweaters

Cowichan sweaters were the rage back in the 1970's and '80s. I worked mine up in White Buffalo wool which carried many popular patterns. White Buffalo sweaters were "in the Cowichan style sweaters". They satisfied the knitters need to make the popular item but they are far removed from the original item. I want to make another one and I am desperately searching for the article "A royal Pair, Knit the Cowichans that Charles and Diana wear" circa 1981-2 Canadian Living Magazine. They carried a lovely pullover pattern that I would like to get my hands on. (There is one shown on the Ravelry.com website, but it is alas, missing crucial information.) If you can help me out, please email or leave a comment.

There is no thing like the real deal though. The Coast Salish women developed the concept of the cowichan sweater and still create remarkable sweaters to this day. There is a great documentary:  http://www.onf-nfb.gc.ca/eng/collection/film/?id=33968
The story of the Coast Salish Knitters

 Sylvia Olsen has written a wonderful book "Working with Wool" which also tells the tale of the fabulous sweaters.

I want to make a sweater similar to this--
Check out the fashion fun at Visible Monday:  http://notdeadyetstyle.blogspot.ca/2012/06/visible-monday-49-visible-in-black-and.html#disqus_thread

6 comments:

Style Mentor™ said...

I have so much respect for knitters! It takes such dedication, I hope you knit this and post it for all of us to see! :-)

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Thanks for the information...I love to hear fashion stories I have never heard before!

Anonymous said...

They look like such warm sweaters. Alas, I cannot help you track down the information you need.

Anonymous said...

These sweaters are some of my favorite clothing items ever. I remember skipping school in the mid 70's to take the bus into downtown Seattle just to buy myself one. I was so excited and I can still remember how it smelled and how proud I felt wearing it back home.
A few years late I was on a dinner cruise/live music party boat and there was a woman who was quite cold and didn't have a coat. I gave it to her because she seemed to have needed it more then me. I think about that sweater often, sniff sniff. But I think it went to a good home. Someday I will replace it.

Patti said...

You look so much like my younger self in that photo! I remember, and loved, those sweaters - I wish you success in your knitting this beauty!

Debbi@SheAccessorizesWell said...

You are so talented at so many things!
I wish I could help on the pattern, but I did not even know there was a Canadian Living. Are they still publishing? Maybe they have an archive. Surely there are knitting forums, maybe you could find something there.