Thursday, March 24, 2011

Abraham

Abraham 8x10 acrylic collage

As a true daughter of the Land of Lincoln, I am a fan. He lived through the most challenging presidency of the nation. There is terrible beauty in that worn, haunted face. This is my offering to the Daily Paintworks challenges. I urge you to check out the site:

http://www.dailypaintworks.com/Challenges

After college, I worked at the beautiful Prairie House gallery in Springfield located in part of what had been his law offices with Herndon . I always felt that I could turn a corner and meet him.

One night, my apprentice Rob and I were cleaning up the frame shop prior to leaving and heard noises from the rarely used third floor. We peered up the dark, narrow stairwell to see a dim white shape hovering at the top of the stairs. Screams ensued. Not only did we scare the heck out of ourselves but our gallery manager who had gone up to the third floor looking for packing materials in her light colored dress.

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

What a fabulous story, Paula. I didn't know you came from my home state! And this is a great painting of the man himself.

Janice Edwards said...

I love one of Lincoln's quotes where he said "If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?"

Classic.